top of page

Handling CUstody Disputes

Custody Dispute Checklist

Tell the parties that without a court order specifically directing law enforcement to take action, you (as a peace officer) can only:

  1. Complete a welfare check on the child(ren), and take any appropriate action as a result of that welfare check

  2. Interview all the parties to determine whether there is probable cause to believe that there is a risk of abduction, risk of flight with the child(ren), or other risks.

Does there appear to be such a risk?

bottom of page